If you love African dishes, you have to try this Mozambican oven-cooked peri peri recipe!
Piri piri is Swahili for "pepper pepper". Other names include 'pili pili' or 'peri peri'. Variations of the sauce have been around since the 15th century when the Portuguese settlers in Africa came across African bird’s eye chilli and made a marinade combining the chilli with other ingredients.
All across the globe, peri peri chicken is now a well-known and well-adored dish. Last night I decided that I wanted to try out a Mozambican style oven-cooked peri peri dish and it came out absolutely amazingly! We licked our fingers and plates clean. This recipe deserves 5 stars!
- 1 whole chicken or chicken pieces
- 700g potatoes - thinly sliced
- 3 chilies (or more, depending on how spicy you want it)
- 2 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Slice 700g potatoes, put aside
- Rinse the chicken, pat dry
- Place whole chicken on cutting board and using a sharp knife, cut along both sides of the backbone to remove it. Turn the chicken over and press down to make it flat.
- Combine chillies, paprika, salt, garlic, bay leaves, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar in a blender until a paste has formed (you can add more chilies if you want more of a bite - taste the mix first!)
- Base a baking pan with some of the sauce and place potatoes on top, sprinkled with a bit of salt
- Brush 1/2 the marinade all over the chicken and place skin-side down on top of the potatoes
- Roast for 15 minutes
- Turn the chicken over and brush the chicken all over with half of what's left of the marinade before roasting for another 15 minutes
- Take the chicken out, brush the remainder of the marinade over the chicken and roast for another 20 minutes
- Check that the chicken meat is properly cooked
- Grill the chicken for 5 - 10 minutes
- Remove the chicken from the baking tray, stir the potatoes around in the sauce and put back in to grill for 5 - 10 minutes/until golden brown
- Serve and enjoy!
Delicious dish in progress before I put it in the oven.
To see the end result, try the recipe yourself ;)
If you enjoyed this article, why not follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram :) We're always happy to connect with our followers. If you have any queries, complaints or compliments, please never hesitate to contact us.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.